by Patsy McLean, Group Exercise Director, Adelaide Club
People often look at leading a healthy life by consuming antioxidants and other healthy foods. They will also use creams and lotions to help them feel better and regularly exercise in a gym or at home. What a lot of people do not realize is that your home is a breeding place for toxins as you bring in harmful chemicals every day. Here are some tips for you to get rid of all the toxins in your home and you will notice the difference in how you feel.
1. Firstly every home needs plants and this will help balance the atmosphere and there are special plants that can help reduce the amount of toxins in the air.
2. Get rid of any plastics that you do not need in the house; plastics tend to give off harmful toxins especially when they are heated up in the summer. You can help by using glass bowls and jars to store liquids and snacks.
3. If you have a green thumb then try to use natural products rather than ones that contain pesticides in them. The reason is because these give off toxins that will be released into the atmosphere so if you are using these for houseplants and even if you use them in the garden you will be bringing in toxins as they will be on your clothes and shoes.
4. Stain resistant sprays and solutions that are put on carpets and furniture when you buy them can actually do you more harm than good. They can get into our food system which means you are digesting harmful toxins.
5. Try to avoid having your shirts and clothes cleaned at the dry cleaners as they use industrial chemicals that will seep into your skin and may cause you some harm.
6. Oven and toilet cleaners contain harmful toxins that can cause damage to you. They are produced with a range of chemicals which include ammonia. You can use natural products like vinegar and baking soda to remove any stuck-on foods or disinfect dirty surfaces.
7. Teflon pans are made with harmful chemicals that when they start to get a little old they tend to get into your food and can cause harm to the liver and kidneys. If you do use them it is important that you replace them regularly and do not let them get old.
8. It is important that you try not to use products that have been bleached as the chemicals can seep into your skin or get into the food system causing you and your family harm over a long period of time.
9. For women it is important to check what your make up contains and all of the beauty products that you use. Also research into the creams that you buy for your family as these also can contain harmful toxins.
10. Lastly it is recommended that you undergo an evaluation of your home and start to make a difference by using less toxic products and bring in plants that can cleanse the air. By doing this you will notice a difference in the atmosphere at home.
This is a guide on how to detox your home…it is important that you conduct more in-depth research and evaluate how toxic your home is.