Summer has finally arrived and its time to dust off the BBQ and patio furniture and enjoy the outdoors! Try this delicious guacamole as a side to grilled fish, chicken or any Mexican dish. Ole! It is also great as a snack or appetizer with a few whole grain tortillas. Any leftover the next morning, try it as a side to your favorite style eggs!
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil, divided (plus more for the grill)
• 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in 3 long strips
• 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeds removed, sliced in half
• 1 just ripe avocado, peeled, sliced in half
• ½ small red onion, sliced in half
• juice of 1 lime
• ¼ cup (50 mL) cilantro, minced
1. Prepare grill by brushing with canola oil. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Lightly brush both sides of vegetables with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the canola oil. Place zucchini strips, bell pepper, avocado and onion halves on the grill for about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3. Remove from grill. Finely dice zucchini, pepper and onion. Place in large bowl. Add avocado and mash in.
4. Stir in remaining canola oil, lime juice and cilantro. Refrigerate until serving.
By: Jill Buckley, Personal Trainer | Adelaide Club